Monday, September 12, 2011

The Day After


The Day After


 Okay, so I had to turn the news off yesterday as I couldn't stop crying.  (I know, I'm such a mush-mess.)  It's because I remember this day, as many of us do, like it was yesterday.  And I don't have to be reminded by the news.  Really, those kids reading their father's names and then saying that they were police officer's really killed me.


But, as many of you know, I was working for Red Cross during this time.  I think many of you don't know that American Red Cross is considered a first responder unit just like police or fire.  So when this happened, I was required to report to the office as fast as possible.  This was the beginning of more than 45 days of fundraisers, volunteers and various behind-the scenes events.  Many more than 12 hour days and seven days a week.  I'm surprised that after this was over my family still knew who I was!


The reason I write THE DAY AFTER is because one of the most memorable events to me happened the day after.  As many of you will recall, we ALL thought there would be many survivors pulled out of the mess.  So people came to the blood banks in droves to donate blood - all for those survivors.  The Pasadena Blood bank had a line around the block, it was so insane.
twin towers
And one little boy, whose name I never learned, had his birthday THE DAY AFTER.  So on September 12, 2001, this little boy had his mom bring him and his birthday cake to the blood bank.  Do you know what he did?  He passed the birthday cake out to those people waiting to donate.  It was all he could think of to do.  And when they ran out of cake, they went to the store and bought more.  What a selfless little boy and what great parents to have taught him so well.
So while I have heard many stories about this event, this is one that will always stick with me... And I personally will never forget.


Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:5-7



Warmest Regards,
Linda K. Mayer,

Realtor, Office Manager  
License # 01767321
A Realtor you can Trust!
(626) 824-8927 Cell
(909) 670-2711 Direct
LindaKMayer@live.com
Linda's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment