Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Singing Carols!

Singing Carols!

Okay, so about a week ago my friend SHARON who is a member of San Dimas/La Verne Soroptimists called me.  I can't remember the exact reason for her call, but she told me the group was going to sing carols for the senior citizens over at La Verne Manor.  Me, being the crazy blonde that I am, invited myself.

So today, a grpup of about 11 women headed over to the manor.  I didn't know what to expect other than I remember singing to seniors when I was a little girl in church.  The Soroptimist group is amazing.  Not only did they bring song sheets for all of the residents, they made a Christmas bag full of things like lotion, socks and chocolates for each person there.

senior citizens
When we began to sing, every wonderful resident joined in or listened.  And one lady in particular caught my attention.  She just had this look of pure enjoyment on her face.  So afterward I headed over to her wheelchair and spoke with her.  I told her I thought she loved music very much.  And come to find out, she had been a piano player/singer/dancer in her younger years.  She told me that music will always be a part of her life and that she sings her way through her days.  Wow, what an attitude!  I truly want to be that kind of person when I am older and maybe can't get around so well anymore.  She is joyful and happy.

So, not only did we make everyone's day, I learned an important lesson.  Keep singing and life won't feel so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment